Does the Town permit mother/daughter apartments?
In Residential Districts, Town Code allows only a single-family house, or a single-family house with an Accessory Apartment after approval by the Planning Board. No rooms can be converted to use as a bedroom without a Building Permit and approval from the County Board of Health for properties with septic systems, or from the Town Special Districts Administrator for properties with central sewer service.

To avoid conflict with the Zoning Code, contact the Building Department for the specific regulations that apply to your property.

Show All Answers

1. What work can be done without a permit?
2. Why are stamped plans required?
3. I want to construct an addition, attached garage, or deck to my house. What are the required setbacks to the property lines?
4. Does a storage shed (or detached garage, basketball court, swimming pool, barn, corral, etc.) require a Building Permit?
5. What regulations apply to swimming pools?
6. What’s the difference between a Building Permit and a Certificate of Occupancy?
7. Can I put up a fence or wall without a Permit?
8. Can my child operate an ATV (quad, minibike, trail bike, snowmobile, etc.) in Town?
9. Can I have a business in my home?
10. Can I park my RV or boat in my yard?
11. Does the Town permit mother/daughter apartments?